One of the first and most important steps in your adoption process will be selecting an agency which begins with choosing an agency that provides home study services for the type of adoption you are interested in. Public agencies (i.e. your local department of social services) generally work exclusively with families interested in adopting children in foster care, while private non-profit agencies may provide a range of adoption services. Once chosen, the agency will be the key player in placing a child in your home, so it’s important that you understand the type of adoption services they provide, their processes, and their policies. Below are some resources to help you choose the agency that’s right for you.
- Online Directory of Adoption Agencies in New York State
- Tips on Interviewing Adoption Agencies
- Consumer Alert: Is Your Agency Licensed?
- NYS OCFS Authorized Voluntary Adoption Agencies
- Working with an Adoption Services Provider re: Intercountry Adoption – US Dept. of State
- Adoption Agency Reviews and Ratings website