- Hello, my name is Melissa, and I am a family liaison from Orange County, CA and I am calling for Patrice. Is this she? (yes). Thank you so much for leaving me a message and responding to my letter. Are you in a place where you can talk right now because I am so excited for Justin to find out more information about his family.
- (Remember the questions from the letter that Justin had, such as who he looks like, how many cousins he has, family reunionsâ€¦)Your help sharing this information could really make a diffrence in Justin’s future.
- (If they don’t return a call from your letter.) I am calling to follow up on the letter that I sent you a week ago. I can imagine this must be a difficult phone call to receive. Are you in a place where you can talk right now because I am so excited for Justin to learn more information about his family. (Remember the questions from the letter)…what would you like to tell me?
- (Allow time for the person called to explain their situation, to tell their story about Justin.)
If the person asks about Justin’s situation
- I know that you must have questions. I really can’t answer them right now. There may be a time in the future where we could talk to you and answer some of your questions.
- Again I realize that this is difficult, but my primary concern right now is to help Justin get answers to some of his questions. Your help with this information could make such a difference in his life.
Gathering Information about family
- One of the things that might really help our conversation today is if you could tell me one of the things you are most proud of about your family. A story or something someone has done in the past that was very special to you.
- What about family reunions and gatherings? What are your family traditions? Do you know who plans reunions or gatherings?
- (Try to get their name and contact information. Perhaps put them on a conference call with the family member who plans the reunions or other family gatherings.)
If they ask about how to have contact with Justin
- I want to assure you that I am going to share your information and how to contact you with the rest of my team.
- It sounds like you’re offering to help Justin more. Let me write down the things that you are willing to do and I will share that with the rest of my team.
- (If they cannot have any contact with the child) This may be your one of the few opportunities you may have to do something to really help Justin. The information that you share with me could truly improve this child’s life. (Default back to questions about family.)
If person sounds upset
- I can’t imagine what you must be feeling right now.
- I am so sorry for what your family has been through. But we’re asking for your help now to give some answers to Justin’s questions.
- You might think of some more things that are important for Justin to know over the next few days, or you might know other family members who would like to share information with Justin. Please feel free to contact me at _____ .
- Thank you so much for sharing this important information, it is really valuable for Justin. The simple act of sharing this information may dramatically affect this child’s life.
Source: Kevin Campbell, Coalition Conference Institute, Family Finding: Lighting the Fire of Urgency, May 2006