A person becomes a foster parent by applying for and securing a License or Certificate to Board Children. The difference is in nomenclature only. A License is issued by local DSS, a Certificate is issued by an authorized agency, and relatives becoming kinship foster parents receive a Letter of Approval. Below you will find a summary of NYS foster care certification requirements and applicable sections of NYS Title 18 Code Rules and Regulations pertaining to approval, and supervision of foster family boarding homes in NY State.
- NYS Regulations for Certified and Approved of Foster Boarding Homes (pdf)
- NYS Foster Home Certification and Approval Questions and Answers from NYS OCFS (pdf)
- A Lawyer’s Overview of NYS Foster Home Certification
- NYS OCFS Requirements for Incorporating Youth Voice into the Annual Review/Certification of Foster Homes (pdf)
- Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance required for NYS foster parent certification as of 6/30/2013