Facilitating Contact Between Birth Parents and Children in Care
- Foster parents transport children to weekly visitation
- Foster parents role in transitioning child to birth parent during visit is critical! (Foster parent may be involved in visit if appropriate.)
- Foster parents meet with birth parents and relatives before and after visits to discuss the child’s adjustments, concerns, etc.
- Foster / birth parents and/or agency worker frequently take pictures at the visits
- Foster parents provide birth parents/relatives with photographs from home or school, artwork, notes/letters with important information, report cards, etc.
- Birth Parents are encouraged to give the foster parents or child (if old enough pictures, cards / letters, important keepsakes
- Foster parents demonstrate by action and words to children and birth parents that children can love more than one parent
Source: Adapted from Preparing Permanency Planning Foster Parents, A Foster Parent Training Manual, Linda Katz, M.S.W., Laurie Colacurcio, Kristina Corders, Lutheran Social Services of Washington and Idaho