A website or on-line presence can be a handy communication tool for parent groups to provide information about group meetings and projects to their members and solicit new members looking for support and information about local foster care and adoption services. Before undertaking the considerable time and commitment to establish and maintain an on-line presence, parent groups should think long and hard about what they want the site or page to accomplish, their plan for keeping content current, and avoid duplicating information that’s already available on the thousands of adoption and foster care sites available elsewhere on the internet. Below are some resources to help your explore some of these issues. Be sure to check out website resources on Creating a Virtual Office for Your Parent Group.
- TechSoup Internet Learning Center
- How To Develop an Online Support Group or Web Site
- A sample parent group website design (pdf)
- Google Sites – An easy tool for creating group websites
- Tech Tools from idealist.org
Examples of NYS Parent Support Group Websites