The New York Education and Training Voucher Program is a federally-funded, state-administered program designed to help youth who were in U.S. foster care. The ETV Program helps youth aging out of foster care to make the transition to self-sufficiency and receive the education, training and services necessary to obtain employment. This program is designed to help youth who were in foster care pay for post-secondary education or training.
Students may receive up to $5,000 a year for qualified school related expenses.
Funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students. Applicants must complete the ETV application which includes documentation each semester that is sent directly from the school to ETV confirming enrollment, the cost of attendance (COA) and unmet need.
The ETV Program Eligibility Requirements
- Foster care youth, including persons in need of supervision (PINS) and those who are in the custody of the juvenile justice system; and
- Former foster youth who have not yet attained the age of 21 years who are eligible for services under the Chafee Foster Care Independence Program; and
- Youth adopted from U.S. foster care at age 16 and older; and
- Youth who leave U.S. foster care at age 16 and older for guardianship with a kinship guardianship assistance agreement in effect; and
- Youth who are currently in the custody of the Office of Children and Family Services and placed in a non-secure or voluntary agency (Title IV-E facility); and
- Youth who are currently in the custody of the Office of Children and Family Services on aftercare status or receiving services in an Evening Reporting Center (ERC) and had been placed in a non-secure facility or voluntary agency (Title IV-E facility)
In Addition, the Foster Care youth must:
- be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen.
- have been accepted into or be enrolled in a degree, certificate or other accredited program at a college, university, technical, vocational school.
- must show progress toward a degree or certificate to remain eligible for ETV funding
For more information on the Education and Training Voucher Program please see:
- New York State Memo on Federal Fiscal Year 2016 Education and Training Voucher Program
- New York State page on the ETV Program including videos about the program
- Access to the application, student portal and additional information in Foster Care to Success.