The Coalition’s 29th Annual New York State Foster Care and Adoption Conference will be held on Thursday, May 10 – Saturday, May 12, 2018 at the Hilton Albany in Albany, New York
In honoring the Vision of the Coalition:
That no foster, adoptive or kinship care family in New York State will feel alone or unsupported and that all such families will have the tools, support and community they need to nurture their children and be role models for others.
The Adoptive and Foster Family Coalition of New York is piloting short-term child care for families who are participating in Conference workshops. Child care will be provided for children whose parents have pre-registered. Payment is due at the time of registration.
AFFCNY staff are committed to providing a safe, caring, and fun environment for children at or between the ages of 5 to 14. Healthy snacks and creative, nurturing activities will be provided. All staff providing child care for children will have experience caring for children including children with special needs and/or traumatic histories. Staff have completed child abuse and criminal background checks.
Child Care will be provided in space within the hotel that is convenient to the Conference area. For additional information, please review the Coalition’s Standards of Care.
Schedule of Child Care Availability
We have broken down the time frame of the Conference into four child care sessions that will allow parents to take part in the scheduled workshops. Child care will not be provided for the plenary sessions. As some children may not be able to sit for the full plenary keynotes or subject matter may not be appropriate for children, the Coalition will arrange for the keynote presentations to be televised live in the child care room. Parents and their children can use the space to eat together while parents enjoy the speakers.
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Session 4|
|Friday 5/11||Friday 5/11||Saturday 5/12||Saturday 5/12|
|9:30 – 12:00||1:30 – 5:00||9:00 – 12:00||12:15 – 3:00|
|Opening Session||Workshop Period 2||Workshop Period 4||Workshop Period 6|
|Workshop Period 1||Workshop Period 3||Workshop Period 5||This Is Us|
- Friday lunch (12:00 -1:30): to be provided by and eaten with parent; Keynote lunch speaker broadcast into child care space for parents.
- Saturday breakfast (7:45 – 9:00): provided by and eaten with parent; Keynote speaker broadcast into child care space for parents.
- Saturday lunch: a 15 minute (12:00 – 12:15) break has been provided for parents to provide children with lunch to be eaten during Session 4.
Child Care Costs
Each child enrolled in any session will be provided with healthy snacks (water, veggies, whole grain snacks) and creative, nurturing activities. The Coalition will provide materials needed for activities as well as any creative supplies required.
Each child care session will be at a cost of $14 per child. Child care is non refundable after April 30th. If you need to cancel your child care reservation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before April 30th so we can offer the space for others.
Eligibility for Child Care
Families needing to use the child care service must register their child or children with the Coalition prior to the event. As this is a pilot program, we are limited to 16 children. Child care will be on a limited first come, first serve basis and the child or children must meet the following criteria:
- Be at or between the age of 5 to 14 years (programming will be targeted for children who are developmentally equivalent to elementary school aged children; teens are welcome with this understanding)
- Independent with toileting
- No violence against self or others
Parents will need to supply the following items for each child enrolled:
- Extra set of clothes in case of spill or accident
- Meals (Friday lunch, Saturday breakfast, Saturday lunch)
- Attachment item (if any) or special toy needed for child’s well being
Child Care Registration
Parents must first be registered for the 29th Annual Foster Care and Adoption Conference.