The Weprin/Montgomery bill passes Assembly and Senate
Waiting on the Governor’s signature
New York Ends 83 Years of Inequality for Adopted People
On June 20th 2019, the New York State Assembly overwhelmingly approved the bill that ends 83 years of secrecy over the original birth certificates (OBC) of adult adopted persons. The vote was 140-6 in the Assembly, with the Senate passing the measure 56-6 earlier in the month. It is expected to be signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo shortly and once law, will restore the right for adults to request and receive their own pre-adoption birth records.
For details of the changes, please see this post from the New York Adoptee Rights Coalition. As the effective date approaches, we should learn how the Department of Health plans to implement the law, including what the application will look like, what identification may be required for application, and whether the department will use an online, mail, or in-person application process, or a combination of them. We expect, as in other states, it will be a mail-in paper form that could also be delivered in person.
The new law will go into affect on January 15, 2020.
Encourage Governor Cuomo to Sign the OBC Access Bill
We are expecting that the Governor will sign the bill within the next month or so. We are asking our families to please contact the Governor to remind him how important this legislation is to our children and to thank him for helping to restore the civil rights of adult adoptees.
Catch up on the press coverage:
- NYARC PRESS RELEASE: New York Ends 83 Years of Inequality for Adopted People
- TIMES HERALD RECORD: Adult adoptees hopeful over new bill in Albany
- SYRACUSE.COM: NY lawmakers pass adoption bill championed by Pam Hunter, ending decades of secrecy
- CBS NEW YORK: Bill Granting N.Y. Adoptees Immediate Access To Their Birth Certificates Heads To Cuomo For Signature
- DEMOCRAT AND CHRONICLE: Adoptees in New York may soon have access to their birth certificates
- WALL STREET JOURNAL: Bill Would Grant New York Adoptees Access to Birth Certificates for First Time in Decades
- HUDSON VALLEY ONE: Kingston woman helps lead drive to unseal adoptees’ birth certificates in New York State
- MS MAGAZINE: Calling for an End to the “Baby Scoop” Era
- FINGER LAKES TIMES: Supporter cheers adoptee bill passage
- NEWSDAY: NY moves to allow adoptees to obtain original birth certificates
- WSKG ROCHESTER: New York Adoptees Call Access To Birth Certificates A Basic Right
- AM NEW YORK: New York adoptees deserve equality
- SPECTRUM NEWS: NY Adoptees May Soon Have Access to Birth Records
- WHITE PLAINS DAILY VOICE: Adoptees Allowed Birth Certificate At 18 Under Historic Bill Passed By State Senate
- WKBW BUFFALO: Helping adopted adults learn about their past