Foster parents who watch over, listen to, and nurture the children in their care have a unique awareness and understanding of the complex issues surrounding decisions about a child’s future. While the law provides today’s foster parents with opportunities to assume new roles in the permanency planning process, foster parents themselves must accept responsibility for understanding and exercising them. In this section you will find information on:
- Federal permanency legislation
- NYS laws and regulations
- Foster parent rights
- Understanding and participating in NYS family court proceedings
- Resources to assist foster parents to exercise their fair hearing rights
- Facing challenges associated with allegations of maltreatment.
We strongly recommend that you visit our Audio Help from the Experts page to access audio recordings of the Coalition’s conference workshops presented by experts in NYS law and regulations.
- What Caregivers Need to Know about the Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act
- ABA Child Safety Manual: A Guide for Judges and Attorneys (pdf)
- LawHelp/NY: Helping New Yorkers Solve Legal Problems