Kinship Care

Sometimes children need to be placed in the care of a relative because they cannot stay home with their parents. When an agency contacts the relatives of a child in need of care, the agency must inform the relatives of their options which generally include direct placement, legal custody or guardianship and kinship foster care.  Any relative who is thinking about caring for a child should thoroughly explore all available options and ask informed questions to determine the choice that is best for them.

The Coalition suggests that potential relative caregivers considering options and current caregivers in need of case advocacy, visit or contact staff at the New York State Kinship Navigator. The Navigator web site contains a multitude of legal fact sheets and information. Navigator staff can provide expert advice on available options and remedies.  If they are unable to help, or if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us either of the numbers below.

click to share to: