This section is for you if you are in foster care or have been adopted.
This information is provided to help you learn about the laws and regulations that affect your life.
- New York State Bill of Rights for Children in Care
- New York State Handbook for Youth in Foster Care – Describes your rights and responsibilities
- A Medical Guide for Youth in Care – from New York State Office of Children and Families
- Your Rights in Care: The Service Plan Review / Uniform Care Record Process (pdf)
- Help Getting Heard – Forms and checklists from FYI to inform adults about your opinions
- Lawyers for Children – Handbooks to help young people understand their rights and find support
- New York State OCFS Requirements for Incorporating Youth Voice into the Annual Review/Certification of Foster Homes
- Legal Aid Society Know Your Rights Videos and Brochures
- Children’s Law Center Broken Adoption Hotline
- You Are Not Alone – A Guide to Pregnancy and Parenting while in Foster Care
Information on applying to and paying for college or vocational programs:
- Coalition Tuition Assistance Resources for Youth in or Formerly in Care
- The New York Education and Training Voucher Program – Offers funds to foster youth and former foster youth to enable them to attend colleges, universities and vocational training institutions.
- Paying for College Student Resource Guide (pdf)
- Affordable Colleges on Line
These are links to other websites for youth:
- Your Life, Your Voice – Enables and encourages teens to share problems/concerns and provides access to immediate help in a crisis.
- Youth In Progress (“YIP”) – About NY State’s Foster Care Youth Leadership Team.
- Foster Club – online clubs and resources for kids in foster care
- Youth Communication Resources – A bi-monthly magazine for an by youth in care
- National Runaway Safeline – For teenagers who have or are thinking about running away from home. CONFIDENTIAL AND FREE 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Teen Central – Online counseling for teens by teens
- KASA: Kids as Self Advocates – a national, grassroots project created by youth with disabilities for youth.
- Foster Care Alumni of America – Building a permanent extended-family community for youth in care.
- The Mint – Fun Financial Literacy activities and resources for kids, teens, parents, and educators
- Think of Us – a self development platform supporting foster youth in making their own decisions around their life, work, education, and health.
- Youth Success NYC – Huge site with resources on a wide range of topics for youth in care and after care.
- Summer Programs for Kids
- Coalition Youth Development and Education Resources
Please note: These links are provided for your convenience only. Listing does not necessarily imply endorsement by the Coalition. Readers should verify the accuracy of any information found at websites