Supported families equal strong families. With our SOS program, we offer support to families, from those just beginning the process to those years into adoption. Services include:
- Exploring Foster Care and Adoption: Need help figuring out where to begin? What to know what the requirements are? We can help get you oriented and on your way.
- Family Allegation Support Team (FAST): Provides nonjudgmental support to foster, adoptive and kinship parents when allegations have been, or might be, brought against them.
- Ombudsman: Sometimes, problems arise when working with an agency. Generally, it is best for the family to work out issues on their own, and the Coalition can support you in doing this. If this does not work, the Coalition can act as an ombudsman or middleman, attempting to resolve the conflict or problem with you and the agency.
- Family Court Education and Support (FACES): Foster parents and relatives often receive little or no training about family court and law relating to child neglect and abuse. Through FACES, the Coalition can help educate parents about the family court process and, if necessary and if a volunteer is available, pair parents with another parent experienced with family court to attend hearings with you.
- Post Adoption and Post Guardianship: Achieving permanency is not the end of the journey. The Coalition, composed of many adoptive parents and relative caregivers, know this. We provide ongoing support over the phone and through our parent support groups to adoptive and guardianship families. Support is available no matter the age of the adoptee.
- Events, Trainings and Support Meetings: The Coalition curates and maintains an event calendar that lists various trainings and other adoption/foster/ kinship related events across New York State.